Friday, August 17, 2007

How are You going to Change Things from the Inside when you are Outside?

Friday, 17th August 2007

Saturday 4th August was the day I was officially relieved of my commitments as cell leader and Treasurer of my church.

I took that as an indication that it was time for me to join the 15,000 others...

So the very next day, I got up, filled with excitement and anticipation, and made my way to Suntec City. After parking the car, I took the escalator up to the 1st level (where Carrefour is located).

It was 7.23am and the scene that was before me was just so moving, I wept uncontrollably like a baby.



I quickly took the escalators up to the 3rd floor to join the queue. At about 7.45am, the doors were opened, and I followed the others into the Rock Auditorium.

As I sat there, I felt the Lord telling me, "Son, I know how much you hunger and thirst for My Word, but what are you doing here?"

I replied," Huh? Lord, I've been finally relieved of my church commitments, so here I am to worship you with the other 15,000 likeminded of your beloved."

"Yes, but where are your wife and kids? Are you honouring me if you attend one church, yet your family is still attending another? Moreover, remember you said you wanted to change things from the inside? How is this possible when you are outside?"

I had no answer so I kept silent. The story of the Gerasene demoniac came to mind. After getting healed, he had wanted to follow Jesus, but Jesus told him to remain in the Decapolis to share the good news of what He had done with his fellow inhabitants there.

Out of impulse, I had gotten ahead of the LORD. I was ready to move, but I had not considered the fact that my wife and kids were not yet ready to move.

In fact, just two weeks ago, I had advised a colleague of mine to remain at the church where she is, because her husband has not felt the need to move. I told her that God would not tell her one thing, and her husband another. Yet here I was, doing something against my own better judgement.

I quickly repented, left the Auditorium, went down to the carpark and drove home.

It was now 8.10am, and the wife and kids were still in bed.

We ended up going to PLMC... as a family.

As I reflected, I realise that I have grown to love PLMC. After all, this is the church where my family has been worshipping in for 5 whole generations: my great-grandparents, grandparents, parents, siblings and now wife and children. This is the church of my roots. I am sure my dad, especially, would like to see his great-grandchildren worshipping at PLMC too.

The truth of the matter is that I do not want to abandon the church of my forefathers, just because the current pastors are not ready to embrace the gospel of grace and finished work of Jesus on the cross. Rather, my deepest desire is to see her being revived...

..and the way to change things from the inside is to remain inside.

Still, I was glad that the journey to Suntec City was not a fruitless one. The scene I beheld of hundreds upon hundreds queuing up patiently has become a faith picture in my mind for PLMC.

God has no favourites. What He is doing in NCC, He can sure do in PLMC as well.

To those of you guys from NCC reading this post. I really, really would love to join you, but it has to be the LORD's timing, not mine. Meanwhile, please continue to pray for my pastors.

I look forward to the day where I have to get up extra early to stand in line for one and a half hours in order to worship the LORD here in PLMC. Amen?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I read your comments on almost attending NCC for service with great interest as a similar experience happened to me 4 years ago.

Would like to share more about it with you on a 1-to-1 basis. Would it be possible for me to have your personal e-mail address?

Shalom!

Malcolm Loh said...

Thanks for your concern.

You can drop me an email at mloh77@starhub.net.sg

Anonymous said...

Hi Malcolm,
I read your blog with much interest and found that you've mentioned & raved about Pastor Prince, NCC & his teachings alot. Have you ever consider that you are raving & focusing on the wrong "God"? Just thought you might want to know : )

Anon

Anonymous said...

Malcolm, I worship at PLMC. I too wish thousands will queue along Boundary Road. Yet, always take things in perspective. Where was the Body of Christ before the Rock? If you really feel so strongly about changing things on the inside, stay in PLMC. If you don't, its fine, attend both, or even move the whole family to the Rock. PLMC, the Rock, like many others through all the running centuries, are all but ill-expressions of Christ. But thanks for your passion, the Church is in dire need of people like you. Your passion may have frightened the pastors - i think - Methodist pastors are careful people, and they SHOULD.

Anonymous said...

Jesus I'm your forever.
Close to your heart, held firm in your hand.
I'm carry high upon your shoulder.
Nothing can take you away from me.