Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Role Reversal

Tuesday, 28th August 2007

On the night of 14 August 2007, just before going to bed, I listened to a sermon on my MP3 player, and ended up crying like a little baby.

The climax came when the preacher declared, "I don't care what your past has been like. God can still use you!"

My wife must have thought I was listening to yet another NCC sermon...

...but I was not.

When people read my blog, they are surprised to find that I am actually not from NCC but from PLMC.

I have also been accused of promoting the sermons of NCC to PLMCians.

Well, there's going to be a reversal of roles today...

I am going to promote a sermon of PLMC to you NCCians instead. :-)

On 1 August 2007, Pastor Reuben Ng was assigned to PLMC. I have not had the privilege of meeting him in person yet, but am very much looking forward to doing so.

Anyway, he preached his very first sermon at TNG (The Next Generation -- which is what we call our Youth service) on 11 Aug 07, and this was made available on our church's website on the evening of 14 Aug 07.

That same night, I downloaded and listened to it and tears just constantly flowed down my face. The person of Jesus was mentioned numerous times, as well as the love of Abba Father.

Although I have heard the story of the Prodigal Son so many times, Pastor Reuben offered a fresh revelation, especially on Luke 15:20...

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him."

The Greek word for "ran" (trecho) denotes the rapid sprinting like a runner in a 100-metre race.

The Greek word for "embraced" (epipipto) denotes a falling over oneself in order to press upon.

The Greek word for "kissed"(kataphileo) denotes kissing over and over again, in a fervent display and showering of deep affection.

What a wonderful picture of Abba Father's love for us!

Pastor Reuben also shared his testimony of how the LORD turned his life around. He used to be a foreign exchange currency trader living on the edge and making big bucks. He frequented pubs and got back home in the wee hours of the morning in a complete state of drunkedness.

Then something happened to him in early 2000 that caused him to contemplate suicide. Yet God intervened, restored to him the years the locusts had eaten, and he is now an anointed preacher of the Word of Christ!

That's why he entitled his sermon, "I Shouldn't Be Here", which you can listen and be likewise ministered to.

Thanks Rev Wee Boon Hup, because Pastor Reuben Ng is truly a Godsend to PLMC...

... and the LORD's way of affirming to me, once and for all, that I should remain in the church of my forefathers...

[Update: I have made available a playlist of Pastor Reuben's sermons on my blog for your listening pleasure. Just click on the Imeem image you see on the left].

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I write in reference to your entry on Pastor Rueben Ng's message on 12 Aug 2007. Interestingly, Pastor Prince was preaching extensively about the parable of the prodigal son in his series entitled 'See The Father's Love For You' on 5 Nov 2006 & 12 Nov 2006. He mentioned and taught on the Greek words you wrote in this entry in these 2 messages in 2006. Please get these messages yourself if you are interested to hear how Pastor Prince had first brought out this message in the same parable in 2006. Stay blessed.

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi "a child of God whom Jesus loves"

Thanks for highlighting this. I have bought Pastor Prince's entire sermon collection, but have not gotten round to listening to all of them yet.

Don't know whether Pastor Reuben has heard that particular sermon you mentioned, but whatever the case, God can reveal His truth to a multitude of His people.

Or in the words of secular world, "great minds think alike" :-)

Like I have mentioned previously.
God has no favourites. What He has done in NCC, He can do in PLMC as well. The secret is to bring His Son back into the church.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Our Lord Christ Jesus be glorified and magnified. Shalom.

Anonymous said...

Hi Malcom,
A very interesting study you've mentioned!

So is there any way that I can download your pastor's sermon?

Peggy

Malcolm Loh said...

hi peggy, the link is included in the post :-)

anyway, it's http://www.plmc.org/sermons/TNG11Aug07.mp3

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, God certainly can and does in fact reveal the same truths to His people - we have the same Spirit in us! But I must agree with the first comment that prodigal son sermon sure sounds like it was taken from Pastor Prince's message in which he expounded on the GREEK words in that passage. So it was rather ironic given the context of your blog entry. :)

But praise the Lord, the important thing is that preachers are feeding their congregation with sermons on love of the Lord for us, His children. May their tribe increase!

Keep up the blogging! You are doing a great job - keeps me coming back here often.

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi GBHFDL

Aiyah, cannot jump to conclusions lah.

I was at the 4th service when Pastor Prince spoke on Ruth. When he said, "God doesn't care about your past", it sure sounded like Pastor Reuben too.

I would rather see it that God impressed the same message to His anointed preachers -- be it Pastor Prince, or Pastor Youngren or Pastor Aleskjaer or Pastor Wommack...

...or Pastor Reuben :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Malcolm, I chance upon your site via your clip on youtube. I'm listening to Ps Reuben's message via your link right now. I choosen "Me? A masterpiece?" to start as I read your blog.

Hey bro! Keep writing and keep your passion aflame. Be greatly blessed till your cup run over and your hamster run all over the world!!!