Gracious Disagreement

Saturday, 17th November 2007

Recently, a dear sister who is well aware of my current situation passed me a Discovery Series booklet entitled "Developing the Art of Gracious Disagreement (Surviving Church Conflict)".

At first, I was reluctant to read it, because I felt that I was being "preached" to. Later on, I realised that it was probably my pride preventing me from doing so. I thus relented and started to flip through it.

Having done so, I must admit that it was quite an eye-opener. The author says that conflicts are inevitable, and ignoring or not admitting our differences is dishonesty.

He gives examples of conflict in the Bible. In the Old Testament, they were plentiful. Even in the New Testament, there was conflict among the disciples, between Paul & Barnabas and yes, even between the great apostles Paul and Peter (which we will talk more about in a minute).

Ideally, we in the Body of Christ should live together in unity. It is when we love one another as Christ loves us, that the world will know that we are His disciples.

Yet, there is a limit to unity, and the author gives the example of how Paul admonished Peter because the latter had started to re-embrace the law.

This is found on pages 26 and 27 of the booklet, which I have scanned and included on the right for your reading pleasure.

There can be no mixture of law and grace, because it shortchanges believers of what is rightfully ours. But worst of all, it is an insult to the finished work of Jesus on the cross if we think we can gain even a sliver of merit based on our own self-efforts.

And that is why Paul had to "oppose him to his face" (Gal 2:11), even though Peter was a "somebody". Not only was he one of the chosen twelve, he was one of the three in Jesus' inner circle who together with the Sons of Zebedee, had the privilege to witness our Lord's transfiguration.

If even Peter was not exempt from being told off for embracing the Law, what less someone who claims to be a preacher or teacher of the Word of God, yet constantly uses the Law in his messages to discourage or condemn, instead of using Grace to encourage and affirm?

May we who are embracers of the grace teachings not be intimidated by these law-based people, but continue to stand firm on our beliefs! Amen?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger