About a month ago, my church was having a guest speaker, so I went to New Creation Church with a fellow churchmate (whom I will not name for obvious reasons).
In the course of conversation with him, he mentioned that he had watched a movie called Evan Almighty and even recommended me to see it.I looked at him in bewilderment. Here was a fellow embracer of grace teachings recommending me Hollywood rather than the Holy Word?!
I declined, saying that I was not a movie buff, and even more so when I had seen the trailer of "Bruce Almighty", (where Jim Carrey was given the opportunity to become God and in one particular scene caused his girlfriend's "assets" to treble in size).
My churchmate told me not to be so prejudiced. He said that some scenes even made him cry. On that account, I relented...
Well, I did get down to watch the movie. Let me say that I was pleasantly surprised! In fact, I was also moved to tears at times. There is a twist at the end of the story that actually gave me a good opinion of God!For one thing, it helped to change the kiddie perception that the Ark had giraffes' heads sticking out. The gigantic one as depicted in the movie is more like the actual one that Noah built.
For another thing, I learnt an acronym made up of the word ARK -- Act of Random Kindness.
If you have not watched the movie, I recommend you to do so. You never know what lessons can be learnt from Hollywood :-)

2 comments:
hi Malcolm,
just like to share that only this tues, i caught a short clip of Evans Almighty at the gym and i decided to watch it last night since it was the holidays..
n this morn, having my daily dose of ROOTS, i realised u blogged abt this show..
yes indeed the show showed me in visual what it is like to have FAITH in what God has asked us to do. even though we may lose our jobs, felt humiliated and laughed at by the world, He is faithful.. and yes having a good opinion of GOD carrys us through it all....
thanks for sharing!
... New creation-er
Ya, someone in Hollywood is making a difference by being the salt and light :-)
Post a Comment