My entire family did not go to Paya Lebar Methodist Church ("PLMC") today.
Nope, it was not to attend NCC but to attend Cairnhill Methodist Church ("CMC").
Every year, about this time of the year when the school holidays have just started, that church will hold a Thanksgiving Service, wherein the invitation is extended to all ACSJ boys and their parents, in order to give thanks to God for seeing them through another academic year. After the service, we are treated to a sumptuous spread of food prepared by the church members.
It was at such a Service two years ago that I was introduced to the Fathers' Prayer Group (who had put up a stall serving Nasi Bryani), so these annual services hold much significance to me.
This year's service was also significant because our ex-pastor was transferred to this very church in Aug 07, and my family was looking forward to catching up with him and his family. After all, all of us used to be in the same cell group.
Thirdly, this year's service was also noteworthy because the ACSJ principal Mr Peter Tan will be leaving to take over as ACS (Barker) principal with effect from Dec 2007.
As a tribute to Mr Tan, my ex-pastor sang the song that he composed in May 07 as a response to being first informed about his impending transfer from PLMC to CMC.
It is entitled "Follow" and the lyrics reflect the struggle he initially had, and the subsequent acceptance in submission to the will of God.
Follow
Down on my knees, with my face to the ground,
I hear what You say, but my heart feels the pain
Chorus:
I still will follow, I still will worship, I’ll live my life for You
I still will love You, I still will serve You, I’ll live my life for You
My flesh may be weak, but my God You’re beside me
I’ll do what You say, not my will but Yours be done
Rise to my feet, with my face to the Son,
I love what You say, and my heart feels Your peace
I did not record his performance of the song (which was really touching), but you can listen to this (and other of his compositions such as Great God, the Ohana Camp Theme Song ) on EntheosMusic
2007 has indeed been a watershed year for many of us -- my ex-pastor, the ACSJ principal, me -- just to name a few.
God is causing mighty things to happen in our lives, but we have to learn to continue to trust Him. Wherever He leads, we will follow. Amen?

No comments:
Post a Comment