"Orbi goot. Chiak chooroot. Angmoh chiak chooroot."
(translated as "You deserved it!" The second and third parts of the rhyme, which literally means "Smoke cigar. Caucasian smokes a cigar" are superfluous but were probably added on because "chooroot" rhymes with "goot". )
How many of you recall the above nursery rhyme? It is usually said when someone gets the consequence of what he deserves. For example, if someone does not do his homework and the teacher makes him stand outside the classroom as punishment, the other students would chant the above.
We'll come back to that in a moment...
Those of you who have been following my blog regularly would probably realise that the senior pastor of my church, Rev Peter Koh and I are not exactly the best of friends.
After all, Rev Koh was the one who removed me from church leadership in Aug 2007, shut down my cell in Dec 2007, gave my name to the police regarding a vandalism case in Jun 2008 and "wrote" the article about antinomianism which negatively insinuates NewCre and the grace gospel that it propagates, even though so many people (like yours truly) have been blessed by finally discovering what the true gospel of Jesus Christ is.
And thanks to his law-based and performance-based pulpit ministry, I have been forced to take a sabbatical from my church, which is where my family have been worshipping for 5 consecutive generations, since it was established in the early 1930s.
I would be lying if I were to tell you that I did not have hard feelings against him at some point or another.
My dad has been in church leadership for more than half his 74 years here on earth, and he had of course hoped to see his son follow in his footsteps. I am sure it pleased him tremendously to see me being appointed Honorary Treasurer of his church in Aug 2006 and then cell leader of 3L7 in Jan 2007... only for both to come to an abrupt end in Aug 2007.
I am sure it caused him much anguish and heartbreak to have to accompany his son to the police station on 5 Jun 2008 in connection with the vandalism case for which his son was wrongly implicated and subsequently exonerated. The investigative police officer took a statement from me and made me write "Peter Koh = pig" 30 times to determine whether my handwriting matched the one who wrote those same words on the pillar of the flyover, located outside my church. Of course, the conclusion reached was that it was not mine. In spite of causing much inconvenience and potential embarassment to me, Rev Koh has not found the need to offer me any apologies.
Just last Christmas, my dad and I greeted each other with a hug, upon which he told me, "Son, I missed you... in church", to which I replied, "I miss you too, dad" and just at that moment, the Holy Spirit prompted me to add on, "...but I will see you in church this coming Sunday". That Sunday (28 Dec 08), my wife and I decided to sit with my parents (instead of the mezzanine floor) and will be doing so going forward whenever Ps Reuben preaches at the main service.
Yes, I can think of so many other reasons to justify why I should dislike this man, who has caused so much disruption to my family.
His ministry is not exactly flourishing -- while there is huge growth in the Chinese-speaking service (which recently just launched a 2nd service) and the youth service (which saw a record turnout yesterday), the English-speaking service has stagnated, to put it mildly. The campaign to bless 10,000 people was only 35% fulfilled, attendances at prayer meetings and cell attendances are at all-time lows, and tithes/offerings have also fallen drastically. This should not be of any surprise since law-based activities are not sustainable.
But I am not rejoicing at what is happening to PLMC. When the shepherd spends his time finding fault with other shepherds like Ps Joseph Prince instead of feeding his own sheep, we are the ones that end up either malnourished, or worse yet, with food-poisoning. The solution is for the sheep to seek supplementary food elsewhere, which is what many others are currently doing.
Neither do I rejoice over what is happening to Rev Koh at the moment because of the plagiarism case. When one member of the body of Christ suffers, it affects the others as well.
And this ties in with yesterday's blog entry about ROOTSS now having a loyal and established following, and me having to blog more responsibly.
In the final analysis, Rev Koh is doing what he is doing because he truly and sincerely believes what he is doing is for the good of PLMC. He believes that NewCre's doctrine is antinomian, so when one of the church leaders is seen to be embracing what he considers heresy, he does what he thinks is best for PLMC by removing him from leadership and disbanding his cell, hoping that it will prevent that "heresy" from spreading. In fact, one ROOTSS reader (who attends NewCre) actually said that he showed leadership when he removed those who do not see eye-to-eye with him , and I have to agree with her.
What he does not realise, however, is that he is kicking against the goads like what Saul was doing (Acts 26:14), and instead of preventing the spreading of the grace gospel, it is causing the opposite effect! Saul was likewise truly and sincerely believing that what he was doing (as recorded in Acts 8) was for the good of the established religion of his time when he went about persecuting the early church. God used that act to cause the gospel to spread outward from Jerusalem into Judea and Samaria. Likewise, Rev Koh's clamping down on the grace message has instead caused even more of his flock to be exposed to, and to ultimately, embrace it :-D
I recall a lunch I had with the TRAC President Rev Dr Wee Boon Hup back in Jan 2007 and remember what he told me during that meal. (Rev Wee is someone I deeply respect because he was the one who counselled me back in Dec 2002 when my marriage was then on the rocks, and also the one whom God first used to reveal to me the truths about tithing back in Aug 2005).
Anyways, Rev Wee told me that a fundamental difference between a person of the world and a believer is this: When someone falls, the person of the world would say," Ha ha. You deserved it", but the believer would hang around to help that person pick up the pieces.
Or to put it in juvenile lingo, the person of the world would say, "Orbi goot. Chiak chooroot. Angmoh Chiak chooroot.", hence the title of today's blog entry.
The believer (and especially so for a grace-based one) would thicken his skin and help that person pick up the pieces, even when he or she does not show any appreciation to the one doing so.
And that is why when Rev Barnabas Chong (previous W&M and youth pastor of PLMC, and a very. very good friend of Rev Peter Koh) was hospitalised back in March 2007, I volunteered to send his two elder sons for their tuition and taekwando lessons and even went to fetch him home when he was discharged from NUH.
God forbid, but should he ever get
hospitalised again, I would willingly do the same again, even though he despised the Crocs that I had given to him and his youngest son by offering them for sale at half-price, has specifically *blocked me off from his Facebook profile*, and continues to spread vicious rumours about me and the current youth pastor.* This is a photo on Facebook that was taken by Kelvin Lee. Notice that the names of Kelvin and Reuben are in blue and hyperlinked to their profile, but that of Rev Barnabas Chong is in black with the hyperlink disabled* :-D
When he was posted out from PLMC in Aug 2007, I volunteered to film his farewell service and even hand-delivered the DVD to his new church office in Novena Court.
I still look forward to the day (hopefully this side of heaven) when we can be reconciled, because deep inside, I know he loves God and means well too. Please continue to keep us in prayer.
Tomorrow, I will blog about another nursery rhyme...

7 comments:
Hi Malcolm,
I have been following this latest saga on the Rev Koh's article.
Your post today about what Rev Wee said about "a fundamental difference between a person of the world and a believer" reminded me of what had personally happened to me more than a year ago.
I was wronged by a fellow Christian and in the midst of my angry complaint to Abba, He spoke through one verse in 2 Cor 2:5-11.
5If anyone has caused grief, he has not so much grieved me as he has grieved all of you, to some extent—not to put it too severely. 6The punishment inflicted on him by the majority is sufficient for him. 7Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. 8I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him. 9The reason I wrote you was to see if you would stand the test and be obedient in everything. 10If you forgive anyone, I also forgive him. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, 11in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.
Well the verse that Abba used to quiet me and humble me to forgive that brother of mine was verse 11.
"in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes."
I am not suggesting anything here but merely sharing an episode of mine with you.
Like what you've shared about helping those who had misunderstood the Grace message and persecuted you, I believe and know that you have acted in the same Spirit that Paul has described in 2 Cor2. And I know that you must have gone about helping them in God's joy and peace.
Thanks, Malcolm for sharing so candidly about your thoughts.
Peggy
Hi Malcolm,
Read Wendy Lam's testimony at Blog Pastor's post on 7 January and her comments there!
Wendy Lam a sheep from PLMC found green pastures at NCC!
GRACE embraced her and she is deeply in love with Jesus!!
Thanks Joo for highlighting that. Rev Koh cannot prevent the gospel revolution from taking the world by storm :-D
Hi Peggy
Thanks for sharing that passage in 2 Cor 2.
I will be blogging about Rev Peter Koh tomorrow, and intend to build him up in that entry, so stay tuned...
Hi Malcolm, it is rather unfortunate that you're only presenting one side of the account regarding why you were removed from leadership. It is not true that Rev Peter Koh would remove leaders from their position just for embracing the grace gospel. There are others in the leadership (including cell leaders) who believe in certain doctrines that are not the same as the pastors, yet they have not been removed from leadership. From what I know, Rev Peter Koh removed you from the leadership not because you believe and embrace NewCre's version of the grace gospel. You were removed from leadership because of the following:
1. You blogged and emailed to many (even people in church and from other churches you didn't know personally but somehow managed to get hold of their email addresses e.g. via the ACS Junior Fathers' Prayer Group email distribution) against the pastors and their teachings; opposing what the pastors teach in public
2. You were repeatedly asked (over at least a 6-month period) to stop doing so, at one-on-one level, you-and-the-pastors-only meeting, your father was approached, spoken to and appealed to by the pastors, etc.; but you continued to do so believing that God has called you to reform PLMC
3. You were teaching doctrines that are inconsistent with the church's teachings in your cell group even though you were told not to; and your cell members and cluster leaders have also advised you not to continue to advocate your doctrines the way you did.
The above are the reasons, I believe, why Rev Peter Koh removed you from leadership. And do let me add that it wasn't easy for him to do so. He didn't like jump for joy over it, on the contrary, it was painful and difficult, though it had to be done to maintain unity in the church.
As I have asked you before, go to any church, including NewCre and ask their pastors, if any leader of theirs do what you did - i.e. oppose the pastors' teachings publicly including via electronic means, what would these pastors do to such leaders? Will you be so courageous as to take up this challenge? I think if you do, it would help you understand why your pastor, who is called to love and guard the flock, removed you from leadership.
Thanks for reading my comment. For your info, I haven't been reading your blog and emails regularly, in fact, i only read them extremely occasionally (no more than a handful of times in the last 12 months) because I'm rather busy with ministry and moreso, I really want to leave all these unpleasantness behind me and move on. However, I have chosen to make this comment today, because of the gross misrepresentation you have made here in your entry and many people as a result have been misled by you to think poorly of Rev Peter Koh.
As for offering to ferry my children when I was in hospital, well I truly thank you for your kindness and generosity. You are indeed a generous person, I don't think anyone would dispute that. However, I am rather disturbed and saddened by your frequent attacks on Methodist pastors' teachings. And by elevating one pastor over others, you are actually being used by the enemy to bring dissension between the pastors knowingly or unknowingly.
Malcolm, I believe every Christian is entitled to choose their own interpretations of Scripture. So if you truly see NewCre's teachings to be biblical, that's good for you and the many thousands who are blessed in NewCre. Indeed, I have met several wonderful brothers from NewCre and I must say that they truly understand grace, having received it, they now extend it to those around them. As for you, I never understood why you, a recipient of the gospel of grace, could be so ungracious to your own pastors?
I'll continue to pray for you.
Sincerely,
Barnabas Chong
Thanks Ps B. This comment from you shows that you are at least willing to engage in a constructive conversation.
I harbour no ill-feelings towards you or Rev Koh. After all, we will all be re-united in heaven some day, so the sooner we are reconciled this side of heaven, the better. How about dessert at Stan's stall?
I hold fast to Rom 8:28 that all things work together for the good of those who love the Lord.
Yes, I was super-enthu about sharing the grace gospel with all that God put in my oikos (including the FPG). I was like that proverbial beggar who discovered gourmet food and wanted to share his discovery with his fellow beggars. If some took offense, my sincere apologies.
In retrospect, it was good that Rev Koh made me step down, because persecution actually helped to further the cause. And unlike Philip, I could attend NewCre without any encumbrances since I had no more church commitments.
You were transfered out by Rev Dr Wee because your law-based sermons were putting a yoke on the youth. Ps Reuben had his work cut out for him, but God has truly prospered his ministry because he unveils Christ. The concert hall is practically full whenever he preaches :-)
There is a transformation that is already happening in PLMC and my prayer for Rev Koh is that he does not kick against the goads. By doing so, he is unknowingly frustrating the Holy Spirit's work.
Will continue to pray for you too.
Most sincerely
Malcolm
Hi Malcolm, I guess I need to make another note here. By now, it should be clear to you and your readers that your perspective on things are at best one-sided, guess we can all be guilty of that until someone points out the other side of the story to us. I don't think I need to go into details about my appointment to Cairnhill, or about your accusations of me spreading vicious rumours about you and Reuben. Any intelligent reader would know better than to accept what you expressed in your blog wholesale without giving the concerned parties an opportunity to express their views. Thanks for praying for me, I certainly need it. May the Lord bless you and your family.
Barnabas
Post a Comment